Friday, May 04, 2012

Distress Inks and Re-inkers...

 

So over the past few months I have been having a bit of a play using different Colouring In Mediums.
Now most of you all know that I am mad for Copic Markers and this is certainly my preferred way to colour, but I love looking at different Blogs and seeing what other people like to use and colour with.

I have always been a huge fan of the Distress Inks and Re-inkers which is widely used amongst most the Design Team from Magnolia and this is certainly showcased in the Magnolia Ink Magazines.

Anyway, so I really wanted to give this a go.
So I recently visited a shop and was asking about the new Tim Holtz Distress Markers compared to the Distress Re-inkers. What are better, what's the main difference, etc, etc...
Anyway, I ended up purchasing a few of the Ranger : Distress Markers, got them home to have a play with them and was really disappointed (I think I should have purchased the Distress Re-inkers, for the same price, but anyway I'm sure we all have things we buy and don't use!)
I don't know if it was because I am so used to my Copic Markers and expected them to blend like the Copic's do but I ended up with solid lines and was unable to blend them out!
So this got me thinking, I used to be a Stampin' Up Demonstrator and I have all the original 48 plus colours in the Re-inkers sitting in a box not being used and was wondering what the difference was between the Distress Re-inkers and my Stampin' Up! Re-inkers??
So I dusted off my Stampin' Up! Re-inkers and pulled out some ink, water colour paper, aqua brush and stamps to have a play over the Easter break!
After a few test runs, I must admit I was very happy with the outcome!
I'm certainly no expert but I just love the softer look it gives to the images!
The little boy image below is from Lili of the Valley Stamps (I cannot stock these, but you can purchase them directly from them in the UK)
I have coloured this image with just Stampin' Up! Re-inkers and my Aqua Brush on Watercolour Paper. (one of my very first attempts)




 
The card below has also been coloured in also using my Stampin' Up Re-inkers and a Aqua Brush.
This image is from Magnolia called Tilda with Ballerina Shoes (which is currently in stock at Creations in Paper..website is currently under construction but contact me if you want to know more)

Tilda has been stamped in Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black onto the reverse side of some watercolour cardstock (so there is not as much texture) and coloured with my Re-inkers from Stampin' Up!
Colours I have used are:
Face: SU Creamy Caramel, Pink Pirouette (cheeks)
Hair: SU Creamy Caramel
Tutu: SU Almost Amethyst and Diamond Stickles
Supplies used to make my card:
Stamps: Magnolia's: Sweet Tilda with Ballerina Shoes. Wild Rose Studio:Birthday Circles
Cardstock: Couture Cardstock: Bright White and Haze
Pattern Papers: Shabby Green Door-On the Wings of a Dream -Songbird
Inks: Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Ranger Distress Ink Dusty Concord
Accessories: Flowers Wild Orchid Crafts, Tulle, Ribbon from Stampin Up!
Dies/Punches: Spellbinders Circles, Picot Edge, Memory Box: Snowflake Corner, SU Circle Punches 1 1/4 and 1 3/8 inches and Tim Holtz Alteraterations: Chip Block Die
Other Supplies: Tiny Alpha Stickers from Kaiser Craft
So if you read above, you will notice that I didn't use all that many different colours at all to colour her in, only 3.
I've used the same approach to shading as I do with my Copic Markers.



And finally... one last card that I made, but this time Tilda was coloured in using Ranger Distress Inks. I didn't have the Re-inkers, so the colours from my Distress Ink Pads, which I used a acrylic block that I tapped the ink onto and then I picked up the colour with my Aqua Brush (this is a pretty messy way to do it but again, I was just experimenting!)


Tilda has been stamped in Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black onto the reverse side of some watercolour cardstock (so there is not much texture) and coloured with my Distress Ink and Aqua Brush!
Colours I have used are:
Face: Tattered Rose, Vintage Photo and Spun Sugar (cheeks)
Hair: Antique Linen, Walnut Stain
Dress: Broken China
Shoes: Gathered Twigs
Hat: Broken China and Old Paper
Koala: SU Going Grey and Spun Sugar
Supplies used to make my card:
Stamps: Magnolia's: Koala Cuddles Tilda
Cardstock: Artee Supplies: Espresso and Warm Ivory
Pattern Papers: Websters Pages: Garden Gala - Tea Time
Inks: Ranger Archival Ink Jet Black, Stampin' Up! Old Olive, Close to Cocoa
Accessories: Roses- Wild Orchid Crafts, Cantabury Collection-Roses and Berries by Petaloo and Chocolate Pearls
Lace: Wild Orchid Crafts
Dies/Punches: Spellbinders Ovals, Scallop Ovals, Memory Box: Savannah Border
Other Supplies: Tiny Alpha Stickers from Kaiser Craft, Watercolour Cardstock and Aqua Brush

Well if you stayed till the end, I am inpressed!

If you have any tips that you use to colour in with Dirstress Inks or Re-inkers, then I would love to hear about them.
Like I said, I am certainly no expert but I love the softer effect that you get with this Colour Medium.

Thanks...Jules x

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Lovely artwork- so cute! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails